Emergency Medicine Research Fellowship
The UC Davis Department of Emergency Medicine offers a two-year Emergency Medicine Research Fellowship. The program combines training in clinical emergency medicine research with graduate level training at UC Davis leading to either a Masters of Science in Clinical Epidemiology (MAS) or Masters in Public Health (MPH). The research fellowship is Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) approved.
The UC Davis Department of Emergency Medicine maintains a strong commitment to clinical research in emergency medicine. The Department has a broad area of research interests and expertise and participates in several multi-departmental collaborations and multi-center clinical trials. Areas of focused research include but are not limited to: trauma evaluation and management, injury prevention, clinical emergency cardiology, pediatric emergency medicine, industry sponsored trials, development and validation of clinical decision rules, infectious disease, ultrasonography, and ED overcrowding and surge management.
In addition, UC Davis is a leading center in the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN), the first federally funded research network in pediatric emergency medicine. Research fellows will also have access to research resources and infrastructure through the UC Davis Clinical and Translational Science Center.
- Successful completion of an accredited Emergency Medicine Residency Program or Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship
Clinical Research Requirements (during fellowship)
- Design and implementation of a clinical research project
- Preparation of a competitive grant application
- Completion of all graduate course requirements leading to an advanced degree
- 48 hours/month of clinical patient care in the UC Davis Medical Center ED
Salary and Benefits
- Salary negotiable
- Health benefits
- Tuition, books and supplies for graduate coursework
- Start-up funds for a clinical research project
- Travel funds to attend the annual SAEM meeting
Daniel K. Nishijima, MD, MAS
Associate Professor and Research Fellowship Director
Department of Emergency Medicine
2315 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95817