Sacramento's farm-to-fork... medical center!
Good food is good medicine, say leaders of the largest farm-to-fork food service in America's farm-to-fork capital
Sacramento's farm-to-fork movement has come in earnest to UC Davis Health, thanks to the vision of the hospital’s executive chef (and farm-to-fork stalwart) Santana Diaz.
Diaz, who joined us in 2018, is the former executive chef for Super Bowl 50 and the Golden 1 Center, former sous chef for the Sacramento Kings — and a judge and past chef in Sacramento's farm-to-fork Tower Bridge dinner.
Diaz and colleagues are now upending the traditions of an industrial-sized food service at UC Davis Medical Center, home to Sacramento's largest production kitchen and creator of 6,500 meals a day.
Rather than relying on highly processed foods or pre-mixed heat-and-serve meals, his Food and Nutrition Services team is shifting toward whole-food and plant-based ingredients.
Our ultimate goal: source most of our food program from within 250 miles of UC Davis Health's Sacramento campus.
In the news and on the web:
- Check out our new blog, Good Food Is Good Medicine
- James Beard Foundation recognizes hospital’s sustainable food sourcing - Sacramento Bee
- Friday Food interview - KFBK and iHeartRadio
- These 16 chefs are fighting for a better food system - James Beard Foundation
- UC Davis Medical Center kitchen going farm-to-fork - Fox40
- Hospital food gets a farm-to-fork makeover - Sacramento Bee
- Meet UC Davis Med Center’s new chef - Sacramento Bee
- 2017 Tower Bridge Dinner bio - Farmtofork.com
- Guess who’s cooking at the Tower Bridge dinner - Sacramento Bee
- More about America's Farm to Fork Capital