We offer classes to all UC Davis Health patients, staff and retirees on a variety of topics such as diabetes, heart health, tobacco cessation, weight management, pain, wellness and more! Our classes are led by nurses, dietitians, psychologists and health educators. Classes are held in-person and virtually.
- Daytime, evenings and weekend sessions available
- In-person classes available at most primary care clinics. Classes are 2 hours in length.
- Virtual classes are available through Webex or call-in by phone. Virtual sessions are 75 minutes in length.
- Available for UC Davis Health patients only and a referral is required. Services available include:
- Medical Nutrition Therapy appointments with a Registered Dietitian (link to MNT page)
- Individual RN appointments for diabetes management (Link to RN indiv page)
- HME Promotional Materials: We have brochures, booklets, and posters that promote HME services. Complete a Supply Order Form and we will send them to your clinic for free!
- Audit a Class: Staff are welcome to audit a class to see what it’s all about. To register as an auditor, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and state you would like to audit as a staff member.
- Team Training Presentations: Our team is always happy to share at an upcoming meeting what HME has to offer and how we can support your practitioners and patients. Please e-mail email@example.com for inquiries.
- Clinic Champion Program: Clinic Champions help promote HME free classes and services and are a strong advocate for patients to learn self-management skills. Unsure if your clinic has a Champion? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to find out. If you’re interested in becoming one, please view this flyer and apply here.
- Class Schedule: Class schedule is released every 6 months and can be located on our website or the CRC Chronic Disease Page
- Social Media: Follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@UCDavisHME) to stay in the loop
Staff schedule the appointment
- Once in the appointment desk to make an appointment, change your department to the desired HME location. Online classes will be at “HME Virtual”.
- *If for HME Virtual:
- Please put patient’s e-mail address in the appointment notes.
- Patient needs handouts to be mailed vs a digital copy, please e-mail email@example.com for this request.
- The Visit Type (Specialty List) will be the name of the class
- The Provider shows locations available
- Make sure Auto search is selected, then select Search
- You can also unselect Auto search and scroll through the calendar to see available options
Staff send a referral to HME
- Send an order with the class or service name as the order. HME staff will then outreach to the patient to schedule.
- If you are not sure which class is appropriate, use the order “Health Class (group education only) and provide desired topics in the referral note.
- Referrals for classes such as for diabetes, hypertension and RN Individual will prompt for specific values such as A1C goal, blood pressure goal, etc.
Patient can schedule via MyUCDavisHealth
- Go to Make an Appointment
- Then Health and Wellness Classes
- Select the category of interest
- Select the class
Contact HME at 916-734-0718 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered participants will be sent an appointment reminder prior to their session. The appointment will also show up in MyUCDavisHealth if the patient is active.
- If a class template is full, please do not overbook the class. Call 916-734-0718 or add patients to EMR wait list.
- Please schedule only the first class for the following series classes: Living Light Living Well, SToP, 8 Weeks to a Healthier You. HME will schedule the rest of the series after class 1.
- Patients are encouraged to bring one support person to classes, except Living Light Living Well, 8 Weeks to a Healthier You, and Let’s Get Moving where only the patient may attend.
- For Let’s Get Moving, HME will request a physician referral.
- For Living Light Living Well, participants must first attend Living Light Living Well Orientation. HME will request a physician referral.
- Staff can “audit” a class to gain a better understanding of what we offer or to learn themselves. Use test patient MRN 2191014 or 8265987 and in the appointment notes, “UCD Employee, name”. No more than 2 auditors per class.
To place an order for Tobacco Cessation Consult and Education:
- Open an encounter for your patient you wish to place the referral for.
- Click on the “Add Order” button on the bottom left.
- When the search bar opens, you can type in tobacco, smoke, quit, or a variety of synonyms.
- The Search box will appear, click on the Tobacco Cessation Consult and Education option.
- Then click accept.
- If other health education classes are desired in addition to this referral, you can instead use the Health Management and Education Class Panel to order everything at once.
- On the lower right, you can select the order to fill out the clinical indication or any other notes and click Accept.
- All clinical staff including Medical Assistants, Health Educators, Social Workers, Pharmacists, Registered Nurses and more can sign this order without a physician’s signature by clicking on Sign Order on the bottom right.
- This video shows how to place this order step by step.
Once signed, the referral will be routed to our department and we will reach out to the patient to evaluate and offer services including counseling by a trained Nationally Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist, cessation medication options and pending orders, the CA Smoker’s Helpline text program, in-person and virtual classes and support groups.
When submitting this order, please let the patient know “Our tobacco team will contact you for help to stop tobacco.”
Providers can check the Referral tab for order updates