Nurse Leader Fellows Eligibility
Applicants must come from the list of eligible, academic nursing programs and hold a permanent, career position. Visiting or contract faculty roles are not eligible. Institutions are selected based on a variety of factors that demonstrate commitment and capacity to support diverse nurse scholars, including presence of a nursing PhD program, national recognition of the school or college, National Institutes of Health funding, and evidence of the institution’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Or, applicants may come from a major health system or organization with a demonstrated commitment to nursing science, innovation and leadership as evidenced by at least one of these criteria:
- A position dedicated to nursing research or innovation
- Presence of a nursing research unit, center for innovation or evidence-based practice
- Magnet Recognition Program designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center
All applicants must also submit a nomination from a nursing school dean, chief nurse executive or chief nursing officer at their organizations. An institution may nominate one applicant. If an institution already has a fellow in the program, it becomes eligible to nominate again once that fellow's program is complete after three years. The nomination must include a statement of commitment to provide the nominee with at least 30% release time throughout the three-year fellowship – including a plan to backfill applicant’s responsibilities. It must also include a brief narrative regarding the intended use of the one-time payment of $50,000 to the institution.
Applicant eligibility (for 2022 applicants)
- Be five to 10 years post-PhD (PhD conferred between 2012-2017)
- Hold at least one degree in nursing or nursing science from an accredited nursing school or college
- Firmly commit to at least 30% effort for the fellowship effective July 1
- Commit to attend the annual convocation held during the last two weeks of July
- Commit to participate in the online mentorship and learning community as well as monthly meetings throughout the duration of the program
Please note: Applicants must have a PhD to apply. DNPs and EdDs are not eligible.
Elements of successful applications
Below are elements from successful applications among our inaugural cohort to serve as a guide for you and your mentor to consider, should you decide to apply.
Selected fellows applications included:
- A strong description of leadership aspirations and the potential to bring innovation to the leadership journey
- A well-developed, big-picture vision for an important health or health care issue with a compelling description of how the applicant aspired to address this issue through the proposed project
- A clear statement about how the fellowship will advance the applicant’s career trajectory
- Evidence of strong support from both the mentor and the home institution
Please contact us at hs-NurseLeaderFellows@ucdavis.edu with any questions. We are happy to schedule a phone consultation to discuss your eligibility and individual considerations.