MSNCB FailSafe Certification Program
What is it?
FailSafe is a program that makes getting certified safer and easier for everyone. To develop this program, MSNCB considered every aspect of the testing process, from test stress to financial concerns, and lifted the barriers. The result is everyone wins: nurses, nurse managers, the health care facilities, and patients. In a nutshell, if the nurse uses the unique facility ID Code when registering for the exam they get more than one chance to pass the exam, and don't pay a penny until they pass. (See contract for all conditions)
How it works
A health care facility agrees that within one year's time, 10 of its medical-surgical nurses will take the certification exam to earn the Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN®) or Certified in Care Coordination and Transition Management (CCCTM) credential.
- If the nurse passes the exam, the nurse is charged for the exam fees.
- If the nurse is unsuccessful, they can take the exam an additional time before the contract expiration date.
- If the nurse passes the second time around, then the nurse is charged the exam fee.
- If the nurse does not pass, no one pays if within the contract date.
- If the nurse does not use the unique facility ID Code to register for the examination the fee is the responsibility of the nurse and you will not be covered under the Fail Safe Program.
About the exam
Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN®) for medical-surgical nursing
- The Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN®) credential recognizes that the highest standards of medical-surgical nursing practice have been achieved. Successful completion of the CMSRN exam validates proficiency in medical-surgical nursing.
Information concerning registering for the exam
Applying for the FailSafe Program does not register you for the exam. To be eligible to take the CMSRN or CCCTM exam, you must meet all eligibility criteria at the time of the application.
- For more information concerning the exam and criteria, please visit the MSNCB Certification website.
- For information on specialty certifications approved by UC Davis Health and what certification society sponsors your certification, please visit UC Davis Health Policy 2908, Specialty Certification Differential Guidelines and related attachments (internal).
- To apply, please complete the MSNCB FailSafe Certification Program Application (Word).