Facts and Figures
At UC Davis Health we proudly apply the expertise, discoveries and technology of a world-class university to advance health and well-being for people and patients — both here in California and across the nation.
Nationally renowned UC Davis Medical Center is a leading referral center for the most seriously injured or ill patients and the most medically complex cases. Selected highlights:
- U.S. News & World Report ranked UC Davis Medical Center among the nation's best in 9 specialties and the top-ranking hospital in the Sacramento area for 2020-21.
- U.S. News & World Report has also ranked UC Davis Children's Hospital among the nation’s best in four specialties for 2020-21, including two in conjunction with partner Shriners Hospitals for Children – Northern California.
- In U.S. News & World Report ratings for common types of care, UC Davis Medical Center rated high performing in multiple areas in 2020-21.
- All UC Davis Health primary care clinics are recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as Patient-Centered Medical Homes, a designation that rewards primary care providers for quality, efficiency and innovation.
- The UC Davis Children's Surgery Center is the West Coast’s first American College of Surgeons-verified level I Children’s Surgery Center — and home to newly expanded pediatric surgery facilities.
*Inpatient admissions; does not include 12,269 observation days.
The Children’s Miracle network raised $4.5 million for UC Davis Children's Hospital, ranking in the top 5 among western hospitals and in the nation's top 10
$450,000 from the Harvey L. and Maud C. Sorenson Foundation provided for a pediatric gastroenterologist and educational programs
- A model ER-based addiction treatment program at UC Davis Medical Center is expanding to counter the opioid epidemic.
- UC Davis Health leaders and researchers are members of the California governor’s Alzheimer’s task force, formed to respond to an expected surge in cases. And the Family Caregiving Institute at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis helps support the millions of people who care for aging family members or friends.
- The world’s first total-body medical scanner, invented by UC Davis scientists, is now in use for care and research at UC Davis Health.
- UC Davis Health will host a first-in-the-nation gun violence prevention training program for health professionals, created by California lawmakers. UC Davis is also the location of the first state-funded center for firearm violence research.
- UC Davis Health neuroscientists played a key development role in the first drug treatment specifically approved for postpartum depression.
- Improving health for all through programs such as the Center for Reducing Health Disparities, Center for Healthcare Policy and Research, and Center for Health and Technology.
- The Clinical and Translational Science Center helps advance lab findings into treatments, engage communities in research, and educate the next generation of clinicians and scientists.
External research funding
$315 Million in 2019
Innovative UC Davis interprofessional education gives the health care workforce of tomorrow the skills and values needed to lead change and improve health for all. Selected highlights:
Ranked among America’s top medical schools by U.S. News & World Report, including the top 10 for primary care
School of Medicine alumna
Nadine Burke Harris (M.D., ’01), has been named California’s first-ever surgeon general
- The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing launched a new nurse practitioner residency program with placements in community and UC Davis Health clinics in underserved areas throughout Northern California.
- Multiple residency and clerkship sites address primary care shortages in rural communities, including expanded opportunities through the new American Medical Association-supported COMPADRE program.
- For more than 40 years, UC Davis students have volunteered countless hours in free community clinics delivering care for underserved populations.
- The Center for Health and Technology offers telehealth education programs for community providers and students, and collaborations around specific conditions.
Faculty, staff and students
*Direct care providers
**Denotes faculty and other academic personnel, full & part time
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation granted the School of Nursing $37.5 million to create the Betty Irene Moore Fellowships for Nurse Leaders and Innovators, designed to develop a new generation of nursing leadership.
During the 2018/2019 academic year, we awarded more than $1.6 million in School of Medicine scholarships to 140 inspiring medical students
UC Davis Health actively engages with the diverse communities it serves in Sacramento, Northern California and beyond. Selected highlights:
Serving and protecting the community during infectious disease outbreaks and pandemics
Unique farm-to-fork food service made the national “Good Food 100 Restaurants” list alongside top Sacramento restaurants
- Caring for vulnerable populations through innovative partnerships with Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs), ER support and screening programs, tobacco cessation initiatives and more.
- Named one of America’s Best Employers for Diversity by global media company Forbes.
- Recognized with “Most Wired” status for health information technology from the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives.
- We are national pioneers and leaders in telehealth and electronic medical records integration.
- The UC Davis Health Cancer Care Network unites multiple cancer centers to offer patients leading-edge care in their own communities.
- UC Davis programs train others to use technology-enabled health care; offer community workshops to increase health literacy; and help students from diverse backgrounds to consider health careers.
- The School of Nursing partners with more than 350 clinical sites and community agencies for its education and research programs.
- UC Davis Health partners with dozens of community organizations and events, including the popular Sacramento Republic FC and the California International Marathon.