Advanced Preceptor Affiliate
The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis recognizes long-standing and exceptional preceptors as Advanced Preceptor Affiliates. Advanced Preceptor Affiliates are community health care providers who mentor and precept School of Nursing students in various health care and community settings. This partnership between the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing and community health care providers solidifies the School of Nursing’s commitment to strengthen community ties and build long-lasting relationships with volunteer preceptors. The appointment constitutes a valuable way to utilize a health care provider’s interest on a voluntary basis in the areas of teaching and mentorship.
Initial appointment is for three years with reappointment after review of evaluations, license, certification and malpractice history.
School of Nursing Advanced Preceptor Affiliates must complete 400 hours of service annually to the School of Nursing with the following opportunity:
- Preceptor for clinical students — UC Davis Health has a long history of integrating clinical preceptorship with classroom education. The School of Nursing welcomes inquiries from potential preceptors in community settings who are interested in taking part in the education of physician assistants and nurse practitioners. Sites can be rural or urban and located anywhere throughout California. Potential preceptors may contact the school directly to obtain a preceptor application or learn more. School of Nursing representatives evaluate and make decisions on the approval of all clinical sites. Learn more about preceptor opportunities
Advanced Preceptor Affiliate must commit to precepting five School of Nursing students per clinical year or School of Nursing students or nurse practitioner residents for 10 weeks.
Students are expected to rotate a minimum of 32 hours per week.
- Welcome letter, recognition certificate and preceptor pin
- Annual thank you letter with aggregate preceptor evaluation summary
- Invitation to school events
- Access to UC Davis online library journals
- Validated parking if on UC Davis Sacramento campus for school-related activities
- Valid unencumbered state license as a health care professional
- Current national certification
- Malpractice insurance
- Completed affiliation agreement for student rotations between UC Davis Health and the employer (clinical agency)
- Completed preceptor application
- Completion of precepting for 10 weeks or five UC Davis School of Nursing students or nurse practitioner residents within the last three years
- Commitment to precept for 10 weeks or five UC Davis School of Nursing students or nurse practitioner residents each year
Interested applicants should complete the online Advanced Preceptor Affiliate questionnaire. You need to provide the following information:
- Contact information
- Clinical agency name and address
- Current national certification or board certification information
Once submitted, a School of Nursing team member will contact you within two weeks. Approval meetings are conducted monthly.
Please email HS-SONClinical@ucdavis.edu with any questions.