• Mammography uses low dose radiation to create images of the breast. Mammography is used to aid in early detection and diagnosis of breast cancer. All UC Davis’s mammography locations have digital mammography.
• We offer 3D mammography called Tomosynthesis. During a 3D exam the x-ray arm sweeps in an arc and acquires images at different angles. The computer reprocesses the images into thin millimeter slices, which allows the radiologist to scroll through the breast tissue. These images provide more information for the radiologist.
• Screening mammograms are for women without any breast problems
• Yearly mammogram is recommended starting at age 40.
• Please arrive 20 mins prior to your scheduled appointment.
• On the day of your exam, do not use perfume or deodorant, and wear a two-piece garment. Please do not wear earrings or necklaces to your appointment.
• For a routine mammogram we typically take two images of each breast from different angles.
• Your breast will be compressed for all images and compression is released after each image. This necessary to obtain quality images for the radiologist, and also decreases your radiation dose
• The entire exam will take approximately 10-15 minutes.
• The technologist will review the images in the room before you leave to verify they have all the information for the radiologist.